The department of Engineering Science strongly supports student research and student scholarly activities. Each semester, many of our EE and MS-CES students engage in a variety of funded and/or corporate sponsored projects. The results of these projects are often submitted to peer-reviewed conferences and journals. Below is a list of selected student Presentations, Posters, and Peer-Reviewed Publications accomplished by EE students at SSU.
- J. Johnston†, K. Zeng and N. Wu, "An Evaluation and Embedded Hardware Implementation of YOLO for Real-Time Wildfire Detection," 2022 IEEE World AI IoT Congress (AIIoT), 2022. (†advisee)
- L. Yu, S. Zhang, N. Wu* and C. Yu, "FPGA-Based Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation of User Selection Algorithms for Cooperative Transmission Technology Over LOS Channel on Geosynchronous Satellites," in IEEE Access, vol. 10, pp. 6071-6083, 2022, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3141098. (*Corresponding author)
- J. Haun and M. A. Salem, “Polarization Rotator Metamirror Design Using Metaparticle Surrogate-Based Optimization,” Metamaterials Congress 2021, online, 2021.
- N. Wu, W. Cowles †, and A. Kudelin†, " Addressing Greenhouse’s Lack of Natural Pollinators - A UAV-Based Artificial Pollination System," 2021 17th International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS), Virtual, July 2021. (†advisees)
- P. Vora and S. Shrestha, “Detecting Diabetic Retinopathy Using Embedded Computer Vision,” Applied Sciences, vol. 10, no. 20, pp. 1-10, Oct 2020.
- S. Shrestha, “A Device to Collect Breath Data from Type-2 Diabetes Patients in Real-Life Situations,” US Provisional Patent Application 63109323 (Nov. 5, 2020)
- M. Khan, M. Ibrahim, N. Wu, and R. Patil, "Interdisciplinary Project Based Learning Approach for Machine Learning and Internet of Things," 2020 IEEE Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), Princeton, NJ, August 2020.
- A. Aboumrad, J. Haun, A. McGinnis, and N. Wu, "An Automatic Platform for Landing and Charging of UAVs to Extend UAV Operations", 16th International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS), Marina del Rey, CA, USA, 2020
- David A. House & Mohamed A. Salem, Meta-lens antenna with enhanced gain at 24.125 GHz, SPIE Metamaterials, Metadevices, and Metasystems 2020
- Joseph Haun & Mohamed A. Salem, Implementation of Kriging surrogate model of a meta-particle, SPIE Metamaterials, Metadevices, and Metasystems 2020
- M. A. Salem, “Minkowski space-time diagrams in electromagnetics education,” 2019 URSI Electromagnetic Theory Symposium (EMTS 2019), San Diego, CA, May 27-31, 2019.
- M. Khan, K. Zeng, N, Wu, and I. Unwala, “Robotics and Deep Learning Framework for Structural Health Monitoring of Utility Pipes”, International Symposium on Measurement and Control in Robotics, Clear Lake, TX, September 2019.
- N. Wu, C. Chacon†, Z. Hakl†, K. Petty†, and D. Smith†, “Design and Implementation of an Unmanned Aerial and Ground Vehicle Recharging System”, NAECON 2019 - IEEE National Aerospace and Electronics Conference, Dayton, OH, 2019. (†advisees)
- M. Khan, M. Ibrahim, and N. Wu, “Measuring Self-Efficacy in Engineering Courses–Impact of Learning Style Preferences”, 2019 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 2019.
- N. Wu, and M. Khan, “LoRa-based Internet-of-Things: A Water Quality Monitoring System”, IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, AL, April 2019.
- M. Boubin and S. Shrestha, “Microcontroller Implementation of Support Vector Machine for Detecting Blood Glucose Levels using Breath Volatile Organic Compounds,” Sensors, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1-9, May 2019.
- S. Shrestha, C. Harold, M. Boubin, and L. Lawrence, “Smart Wristband with Integrated Chemical Sensors for Detecting Glucose Levels Using Breath Volatile Organic Compounds,” in Smart Biomedical and Physiological Sensor Technology XV, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, Apr. 16-18, 2019, Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 11020 (SPIE, Bellingham, WA 2019), 110200R.
- N. P. M. H. Salem, E. Niver, and M. A. Salem, “Vortex beam launcher design,” IET Microw. Antennas Propag., 2018, DOI: 10.1049/iet-map.2018.5007
- N. P. M. H. Salem, E. Niver, and M. A. Salem, “Flange angle design for waveguide-based orbital angular momentum multiplexing communication systems,” 2018 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC2018), Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 06–09, 2018
- N. P. M. H. Salem, E. Niver, and M. A. Salem, “Sensitivity analysis of input impedance of a large loop antenna in a waveguide to tilt angle,” 2018 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC2018), Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 06–09, 2018
- N. P. M. H. Salem, E. Niver, and M. A. Salem, “Impedance matching of a large loop antenna inside a circular waveguide,” 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (APS-URSI 2018), Boston, MA, Jul. 08–13, 2018
- Y.-T. Chen and S. Shrestha, “Source Classification of Indoor Air Pollutants using Principal Component Analysis for Smart Home Monitoring Applications,” 2018 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT), Rochester, MI, May 3-5, 2018, pp. 0129-0133.
- T. McWhorter and S. Shrestha, “System for Monitoring Air Quality and Smog,” 2018 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT), Rochester, MI, May 3-5, 2018, pp. 0415-0419.
- S. Shrestha and F. Farahmand, “Introducing Project-Based Engineering Laboratory to Non-Engineering Undergraduate Students,” 125th Annual Conference and Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, Jun. 24-27, 2018.
- Y.-T. Chen, et al., “Electronic Nose for Ambient Detection and Monitoring,” Proc. Of SPIE Defense and Commercial Sensing Conference, Anaheim, CA, Apr. 9-13, 2017.
- Guidici, D.; Clark, M.L., One-Dimensional Convolutional Neural Network Land-Cover Classification of Multi-Seasonal Hyperspectral Imagery in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Remote Sens. 2017, 9, 629.
- Feng Weng & Farahmand, Advanced Flood Monitoring, presented at Global City Team Challenge Expo, Austin TX, June 2016, Sponsored by National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and USIgnite, June 2016
- McGuire & Farahmand, "Techniques in Data Visualization for Electrical Engineering: From Embedded Systems to the IoT", American Society for Engineering Education, New Orleans, LA, Jun. 2016.
- Janene Grippi & Farahmand, A Low-Cost Real-Time Movement Monitoring System To Evaluate Parkinson Disease Treatment, Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, October 2016
- Luis Reyes, Campbell Smith & Farahmand, PD Analytics: a low-cost device that can quantify tremors associated with Parkinson's Disease. Poster presentation, May 2015
- Jenifer Nunn & Farahmand, Advances in Movement Monitoring, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, March 2015
- Scott Parmley, Jason Kelly & Farid Farahmand, "Smarden: A Smart Gardening Approach to Conserve Resources", Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), San Jose CA, Oct. 2014.
- Harika Kuppuru, Swathi Matsa & Farahmand, "Introducing a Remotely Accessible Optical Laboratory for Undergraduate Students", American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), San Antonio, TX, Jun. 2013
To view more student publications please visit SSU ScolarWorks.
Also see our MSECE Theses and Research archive.